Bayview Fire 1944
This month, our history page features the fire on Bayview Avenue in August of 1944. In this picture by
Mildred Thompson of Houghton Street, the fire has already totally consumed the Morton cottage on Bayview
and has spread to the neighboring cottage. The fire was caused by a tenant in the Morton cottage who was
apparently trying to fill a kerosene burning hot water heater.
The neighboring cottage is now owned by Mildred's son, Brad. To seemingly keep it all in the neighborhood
family, the cottage just above the man's left elbow on the right of the photo is now owned by the Morton's
daughter, Joan Kelly.
Photo Taken on 08/28/06